Theatres can remain open with social distancing in place. It has been confirmed by Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden with a Tweet.
“10pm closing time: This will apply across a range of hospitality and leisure sectors including casinos It will not apply to theatres and cinemas where performances may run over the 10pm deadline”, he wrote.
Under the new measures for England:
- Penalties for not wearing a mask or gathering in groups of more than six will increase to £200 on the first offence
- From Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants will be restricted to table service only. Takeaways can continue
- Hospitality venues must close at 22:00 from Thursday - which means shutting then, not calling for last orders
- The planned return of spectators to sports venues will now not go ahead from 1 October
- Face coverings must be worn by shop staff, taxi drivers and passengers
- Customers in indoor hospitality venues will also have to wear masks, except when seated at a table to eat or drink
- Exemptions to the "rule of six" will be cut back, meaning indoor team sports such as five-a-side football matches will end.